I made this homemade birthday cake for my significant other. I defrosted some frozen strawberries since I didn't have any fresh on hand but everything else was amazing! The cake itself was decorated with whipped cream, strawberries and Milano Cookies (Dark Chocolate).
I brushed the cake itself with soaking syrup. Most soaking syrups use rum, but I decided to make my syrup out of Sauvignon Blanc. We happened to have a 2001 Starmont Sauvignon Blanc wine on hand from Merryvale.
Below is the ingredients for the cake (I made two kinds). You can stick to one of the cake recipes, either one has a similar consistency and taste.
It is important that you weigh the ingredients by the scale for exact measurement. Don't try a online conversion.
60 gm coconut sugar
60 gm cake flour
25 gm unsalted butter
¼ tsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar (optional)
3 Large Eggs
100g Coconut Sugar
90g Cake Flour
15g Unsalted Butter
1 tbsp Almond Milk
Dash Vanilla Extract
1/4 teaspoon Cream of Tartar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 170C / 350F.
2. Melt the butter in a microwave oven or double boiler. Mix in the vanilla extract. (And almond milk). Set aside.
3. Carefully separate egg yolks and egg whites.
4. With an electric mixer (I'm using a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer) beat the egg yolks sugar. Start on low speed then move onto high speed. You will know it is ready when the yolks turn into a custard consistency.. or soft peak.
5. (If you want a good cake, you need to move quickly to this next step, as the air in the eggs yolks will lose its form. ) In a large clean metal or glass (no plastic) mixing bowl without any trace of water or oil, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer. Start on a low speed then move onto high speed. When the egg whites turn to soft peak, add about 1/4 of cream of tartar to help stabilize the egg whites. Continue to beat air into the eggs whites until you get a stiff peak. Meaning if you flip the bowl, it keeps its form... or you could just pull the beaters out and see if the egg whites dont drip.
6. Lightly fold in egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Sift in half of the cake flour. Fold gently as not to break the fluffiness of the batter. Repeat this step to fold-in the remaining beaten egg whites and cake flour.
7. Lightly stir in the melted butter, almond milk and vanilla extract into the batter. Scrape from the bottom and fold onto the surface. Don’t stir too hard. Combine ingredients well.
8. Pour into cake pans, lightly tap against surface to even out the batter and quickly put the cake pan into the preheated oven. Bake for approximately 20 minutes. Stick a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. You want a cooked cake but not a dry cake.
9. Take out cake and invert it onto a rack. I like to cover the cake pan with a wet cloth to keep the cake moist while it cools down.
10. When the cake is cool, spread soaking syrup between the layers. You can cut the cake parallel to make two layers or just bake another layer like I did.
11. Decorate with whipped cream, strawberries and I put Milano cookies on the side to hide the spread marks. :P (Didn't have any fancy frosting spatula). Sift some powdered sugar for a pretty effect. Optional.
Soaking Syrup (this is to spread on top of the cake layers to prevent crumbs from sticking and to keep the cake moist). To be honest, I didnt measure the ingredients for soaking syrup. But a general rule of thumn is to equal parts coconut sugar and alcohol and a little bit of water to thin it out.
• Coconut Sugar
• Hot Water
• Sauvignon Blanc
Heat the ingredients on stove in a pot. Cook on medium high heat then lower it until sugar has dissolved and some alcohol has evaporated. Make this quick as you don't want to burn the sugar but you want the sugar to have dissolved. Set aside and let cool before brushing the syrup on your cake.
Whipped cream recipe:
(I used this recipe and used coconut sugar instead of regular sugar.)
~❤️ Follow me on Social Media ❤️~
Update: I activated Fan funding! Yay! If you like, feel free to support this channel by going to my channel page and clicking the $upport button. Thanks everyone ^_^
Intro logo made by Amit at: https://www.fiverr.com/amit98038
Music: Montee - Vanilla (VIP), Water Lily by 126ers, Wings by Nicolai Heidlas
Disclaimer: Closed Captions have been auto generated and have not been reviewed. As such, CC might be incomplete, there may be errors and inconsistencies.